Apur Sansar (Bangla)

Release year: 1959 |||| IMDB Link:Apur Sansar |||| IMDB Rating : 7.6/10 |||| Genre: Drama
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"Apur Sansar" which means "World of Apu", a movie based on the novel of Bibhutibhushan Bandyopadhyay. Few chapters of Apu's life is the script of this movie. Starting chapter is when Apu aka Apurba Roy(Soumitra Chatterjee) discontinues his education because if his poor financial condition and last chapter is when he loved the life back again after confronting his 5 year old son Kajol(Alok Chakravarty), whom he never loved even possibly in imagination. 


After Apu drops out of college he had no liabilities and no one to live with or go to. He has nobody to call a family. He was not much bothered about his condition of life too. He was in debt, not used to get good food at times, used to play flute and loved to write. And in-spite of lots of mess in his life, he kind of loved it in a way, untill he loved life and got to feel love in a different way which he had only possibly remotely imagined as a writer. And that different way was chosen by an accidental situation, which he met when he went to the country side to attend the marriage of cousin sister Aparna(Sharmila Tagoreof his friend Pulu(Swapan Mukherjee). Attending Aparna's marriage was never an accident untill Apu was asked to be the saviour of Aparna and her familie's social respect and future by marrying her, as the marriage of Aparna was cancelled when they got to know the prospective groom was mentally ill. After initial surprise and denial, Apu agreed to be the saviour but rather than being exited, happy or possibly sad about this change and situation, he was more worried that how would he take care of Aparna in the poor financial state he was, as Aparna belonged to a financially quite established family. But Aparna gradually and beautifully took away all his worries and filled Apu's life with a smooth and soothing bliss which Apu has never experienced or imagined before. Aparna was the most important and most wonderful thing ever happened to Apu. But this gradual soothing bliss changed for Apu within a momentary eye flip when he got to know the demise of his most beloved Aparna while giving birth to their sign of love, their son. Life was never more meaningless and worse for Apu before. But Aparna didn't leave Apu so hopeless and which he finds back after few years when he meets Kajol. Instead of Aparna, it was Kajol who was waiting for him.


A closing note:
I generally don't watch( out of some phobia which is out of scope of this text) and also don't get to watch Bangla movies. But this one stumbled upon in a way which couldn't be ignored. I watched it and really loved it like a sort of movie which probably I would love to mention about when I shall be narrating the list of movies, which is not biased by language, though mostly English. Yes, I am mostly a fan of good English movies(even if, at times, I can't enjoy them without subtitles) and always felt that the taste and sense of Hollywood viewers and creators is much different(actually I meant better in my opinion). But when I watched this movie, I felt this all time favourite hit movie wouldn't had been a hit at box office and and possibly ever made unless viewers and creator(Satyajit Ray) would had the taste of it. I don't know how many times it is actually watched by non-Bengali viewers yet I think it is worth watching even with subtitles. When you are done watching, it will be interesting to think back why you liked this movie(if you like it). I know why I liked it but I will tell you that if you don't like it.  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment